What is Microsoft Intune?
Intune is a cloud-based enterprise mobility management (EMM) service that helps enable your workforce to be productive while keeping your corporate data protected.
With Intune, you can:
- Manage the mobile devices your workforce uses to access company data.
- Manage the mobile apps your workforce uses.
- Protect your company information by helping to control the way your workforce accesses and shares it.
- Ensure devices and apps are compliant with company security requirements.
Intune integrates closely with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) for identity and access control, and Azure Rights Management (Azure RMS) for data protection. It is the management arm of Microsoft Enterprise Mobility + Security (EMS), while Office 365 is the productivity arm of Microsoft’s mobility solution.
Together, Office 365 and EMS enable your workforce to be productive on all of their devices while keeping your organization’s information protected. Office 365 with EMS is a complete, integrated suite for enterprise mobility inclusive of productivity, identity, access control, management, and data protection. It gives you an effective way to deploy and operate a mobility solution in your organization.
Enterprise Mobility Challenges
As technology enables more efficient communications and the ability to collaborate with fewer barriers, employees expect to be productive across a variety of device types with consistent access to the applications that they need.
Meanwhile, IT departments need a scalable way to keep corporate information secure across both personal and corporate-owned devices.
Many IT professionals are turning to Microsoft Intune to simplify the management of apps & devices. It provides an unintrusive user experience paired with the security and administration that IT professionals are demanding.
Microsoft Intune helps organizations provide their employees with access to corporate applications, data, and resources from virtually anywhere on almost any device while helping to keep corporate information secure.
- Device choice: Provide employees with the ability to register, enroll, and manage their devices as well as install corporate applications from the self-service Company Portal – all from the devices of their choice.
- Unparalleled management of Office mobile apps: Maximize productivity by enabling your employees to access corporate resources with the Office mobile apps they know and love while applying policies that can help prevent leakage of company data.
- Data protection: Secure corporate data, including Exchange email, Outlook email, and OneDrive for Business documents, based on device enrollment and compliance policies set by the administrator.
- No infrastructure required: Eliminate the need to plan, purchase, and maintain hardware and infrastructure by managing mobile devices from the cloud with Intune.
- Enterprise integration: Extend your existing System Center Configuration Manager infrastructure through integration with Intune to provide a consistent management experience across devices on-premises and in the cloud.
- Flexible licensing: Spend less time counting devices with per-user licensing for Intune. Intune is also included as part of the Enterprise Mobility Suite, the most cost-effective way to acquire Intune, Azure Active Directory Premium, and Azure Rights Management.
- Global presence with 24/7 support: Get answers to your questions with Microsoft support available online and by phone worldwide – included with every Intune subscription.
Mobile Device Management (MDM)
Microsoft Intune helps minimize complexity by offering mobile device management through the cloud with integrated data protection and compliance capabilities. Intune helps provide secure management of personal and corporate-owned devices across the most popular platforms, including Windows, Windows Phone, iOS, and Android. You can provide users with the ability to enroll their own devices for management as well as install corporate applications from the self-service Company Portal. In the case of large-scale device deployments, you can simplify enrollment using Apple Configurator or an Intune service account. With Intune’s resource access policies, you can restrict users from accessing corporate resources on an unenrolled or noncompliant device. You can also apply device settings that can enable remote actions such as passcode reset, device lock, data encryption, or full wipe of a lost or stolen device.
With Microsoft Intune, manageability and data protection is built directly into the Office mobile apps your employees are most familiar with, helping prevent leakage of company data by restricting actions such as copy, cut, paste, and save as between Intune-managed apps and personal apps. Intune provides the flexibility to extend these capabilities to your existing line-of business apps with the Intune App Wrapping Tool and offers secure content viewing using the Intune Managed Browser, PDF Viewer, AV Player, and Image Viewer apps. You also have the ability to deny specific applications or URL addresses from being accessed on a mobile device and can push required apps automatically during enrollment. To further protect corporate information, you can selectively wipe managed apps and related data on devices that are unenrolled, no longer compliant, lost, stolen, or retired from use.
Microsoft Intune provides a comprehensive solution for managing across a variety of devices, including PCs and laptops. Through integration with System Center Configuration Manager, you can further enhance your ability to manage PCs, Macs, and UNIX/Linux servers, as well as mobile devices, all from a single management console. You can also protect against malware threats on managed computers, collect information about hardware configurations and software installed on managed computers
settings on computers.
Flexible Licensing with the Enterprise Mobility Suite
Microsoft Intune subscriptions are licensed on a per-user basis so that you don’t have to predict the number of devices per user. Intune is also a component of Microsoft’s Enterprise Mobility Suite (EMS), a comprehensive cloud solution to address your enterprise mobility challenges. EMS is the most cost-effective way to acquire all of the included cloud services:
- Microsoft Intune
- Microsoft Azure Active Directory Premium
- Microsoft Azure Rights Management