In this role, you will be managing the proposal process and leading the execution of business development efforts and activities at Kiefer Consulting. The ideal candidate will possess skills in marketing, sales and have experience with technical writing. This is a strategic role in the organization with the most critical responsibility being the management the Kiefer proposal process and technical proposal writing.
As the Business Development Manager, you will report to the Director of Marketing and Corporate Strategy to develop campaigns, plan events, perform account research, follow-up on leads/contacts, and assist in developing content that is on-brand and effective in connecting clients and prospects to the value of doing business with Kiefer Consulting. In this role, you will also be responsible for following-up on “leads”, prospecting and uncovering new opportunities through research. We will use traditional methods of outreach (phone calls, e-mails, etc.) as well as digital marketing tools to accomplish this goal.
There will be significant opportunity to expand your skill set in this role and we are looking for a candidate that has good organization skills, a method to working towards a deadline, strong communication skills, a team-player, and someone passionate about delivering an exceptional customer experience.
In this role, you will help Kiefer Consulting stay competitive, relevant, and present in the markets that we serve.
- Manages the entire proposal process, from receipt of the RFP through the development and production of the proposal response, in accordance with consultant deadlines and specifications.
- Checks the proposal portal daily, and tracks RFPs throughout lifecycle in our proposal portal.
- Assists in the completion of “go/no-go” assessments on all incoming RFPs.
- Collects statistics on all incoming opportunities (bid, no-bid).
- Responds to procurement staff for every RFP inquiry, indicating whether we are planning to develop a proposal.
- Reviews each RFP in its entirety to identify requirements and confirm receipt of all associated attachments and exhibits.
- Develops a project plan based on those deliverables for each “go” process.
- Effectively manages timelines and negotiates delivery dates with Sales, SMEs, and matrix partners.
- Leads the team in identifying strategic win themes and differentiators.
- Ensures proposal responses meet or exceed all RFP requirements and reflect winning strategies and themes.
- Interviews Subject Matter Experts (SME) to develop and write content for RFP responses
- Interprets questionnaires, researches answers using the proposal library and crafts customized responses based on RFP requirements and information obtained during strategy discussions.
- Clearly and concisely communicates complex approaches to work through effective writing styles and leveraging visual aides to assist in conveying the message
- Proofreads, edits and standardizes proposal text for proper grammar, spelling, comprehension, and corporate style, and performs peer reviews for quality.
- Submits and tracks status of proposals.
- Participates in contract negotiations to better understand how the proposal aligns with RFO requirements.
- Participates in client facing proposal feedback sessions to gain additional knowledge on how to improve our value proposition and proposal structure.
- Submits PRAs and evaluate responses when necessary, and applies knowledge gained to future proposals.
- Manages the content library which is used to respond to RFPs. This includes ensuring that resumes are kept up to date and content/capabilities narratives are current.
- Conducts research to uncover opportunities, identify market changes, track stakeholder movement across departments/agencies, and aligning the Kiefer strategy.
- Supports the creation of lead generation campaign and executes lead generation campaigns to secure new business.
- Generates qualified leads and set sales appointments by targeting and penetrating current verticals utilizing outbound prospecting skills.
- Qualifies inbound calls, emails, marketing leads, and conducts research on potential clients to build a quality sales pipeline.
- Demonstrates ability to identify, qualify and develop new opportunities through one-to-one phone/e-mail outreach.
- Executes timely follow-up and lead management.
- Initiates calls to potential customers to explain our practice areas with the intent of generating interest in booking opportunity focused appointments with our delivery staff.
- Utilizes CRM tool to ensure standard processes are followed during opportunity qualification and opportunity tracking.
- Attends relevant networking events and workshops in order to build relationships.
- Provides weekly/monthly input to status briefings for corporate management review.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to interact with all levels of personnel from technical to high level executive management and influence key stakeholders in order to produce results.
- Naturally curious and constantly learning.
- Capable to function both independently and as part of a team to produce high quality and timely work products.
- Strong leadership, assertiveness and interpersonal skills.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills. (You communicate well, and write clearly, thoughtfully, and purposefully. When you speak, you lay the foundations for a long-lasting relationship, listening more than talking when appropriate.)
- Contribute to a positive work environment including the ability to quickly assimilate to a new corporate culture.
- Self-motivated with a sense of urgency; enjoys challenges, competition and variety.
- High level of integrity.
- High level of attention to detail, and accuracy matters to you.
- Strongly empathetic with a real desire to help our customers reach their goals.
- Patient and persistent, with the ability to deal with adversity and differing opinions and build consensus. Able to find your way through challenging conversations with clients or stakeholder groups when necessary.
- Team player with the confidence and integrity to earn client and internal team confidence quickly.
- Enjoy an entrepreneurial spirit, are self-driven, take initiative, and enjoy bringing new ideas to the company.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 5+ years working on State and Local government projects
- 5+ years’ experience developing, bidding, and winning public sector management consulting services
- Experience in sales and marketing (business development roles)
- Ability to work in a deadline driven environment
- Ability to translate technical “speak” to a business professional
- Works well under pressure
- Proficient at Multi-Tasking
- Excellent Communication
- Attention to Detail
- Time Management
Training and Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business, writing, English, or journalism or equivalent experience